Proudly doing our part for Scotland’s energy transition
With our Eco Port status, we have been focusing not only on contributing to Scotland’s energy transition but also on our own contributions as a trust port organisation aiming for Net Zero (link to Environmental/Net Zero page).
We are now known as a major operations and maintenance hub for the North Sea renewable energy sector due to our prime location on the North East Coast and accessible transport links both north and south.
As the largest chain and anchor port in Europe and with our award-winning safety standards, Montrose provides 24/7 marine operations, 365 days a year, ideal for service and operations vessels for developing offshore renewable projects in wind, solar and tidal.
- Largest chain and anchor port in Europe
- 59-acre estate operating both South and North quay
- 24/7/365 operation
- Deep water berths up to 8m
- 1,000m2 quayside
- Well placed geographically: Minimum distance to North Sea wind farms, Crown Estate Scotland’s future ZeroFour site, major road and rail networks.
- Economical portside leasing opportunities
- Trust Port framework
- Marlin SmartPort technology
- Permitted development rights (don’t need planning permission)
- 3 x heavy lift pads @ 15 tonnes per m2
- Accessible transport links by rail and road
- Sheltered berthing
- Expertise of local companies
- Adaptable and bespoke infrastructure for tenants (e.g. exclusive pontoon/jetty addition for partner and new communications mast)
- Circular economy with repurposed building and communication mast.
- Storage and quayside facilities
- Ambitions to be the greenest port in Scotland
The project is called Plug Montrose and is a 50/50 joint venture set up between Montrose Port Authority and Plug Shore Power Ltd where an electricity supply is given to vessels at berth, allowing them to switch off their engines and reduce emissions.
Pictured above are Maria Bos, CEO of Plug Shore Power Ltd and Tom Hutchison, CEO of Montrose Port Authority
The Route to Net Zero
More from the port
Our people make the port
View and apply for career opportunities at Montrose Port Authority and across of maritime network.
We work with a number of third-party organisations to keep our customers moving and the port running efficiently. Learn more about what we offer for our customers at the Port.