The Coaster Construction Co. Ltd. on Rossie Island shipyard resumed work after the New Year holidays in January, 1926 by launching the motor vessel Kybra built to the order of the Western Australia State Shipping Service. She was designed for the coastal trade as a passenger cargo ship from Fremantle round the south coast to Eucla.
Of 858-ton gross, 204 feet in length and single screw, she was fitted out to carry general cargo in two holds and tween deck spaces. There was a tank to transport oil in bulk and also case oil. In addition, there was refrigerated capacity. Her passenger complement was around the 50 mark and propulsion was by a six-cylinder Sulzer diesel engine, although some sources say a B &W.
Passenger accommodation was provided but apparently not up to the same standard as that on earlier ships built for Cunard and the Union Steamship Co. of Vancouver. She was also said to have been very lively in a rough sea and it was not unusual for some passengers to leave her at the first port of call.
The launching ceremony was performed by Mrs. Colebatch who was accompanied by her husband The Hon. Hal Colebatch, Agent General for Western Australia. After the official ceremony the party proceeded to the Central Hotel where lunch was served.
The southern service was not resumed after World War Two so Kybra was transferred to Port Hedland with also calls at Broome and Derby.
In July, 1948 the Vancouver-built, Greek flag Liberty-type freighter Papachristides Vassilios broke down 600 miles out from Fremantle and Kybra was chartered to find the disabled vessel, replenish the stores on board and tow the larger vessel to port.
Kybra interrupted her voyage to Carnarvon to disembark passengers and pick up a heavy duty towrope. She put to sea on 27th July. Reaching the stricken vessel on 1stAugust, she arrived off Fremantle on 8th August towing the Greek freighter.
In 1958 Kybra was sold to a Hong Kong owner. Shortly after she was towed from Fremantle to Singapore for a refit. She was then chartered by a company based in Indonesia to be used between Java and Sumatra. She was later arrested by the Indonesian Navy for entering a prohibited area and taken to Surabaya where she lay for two years. In 1960 she changed hands yet again then spent periods of idleness and was eventually taken to Jakarta. In 1968 the Harbourmaster there ordered her to be removed and she was eventually broken up at Kali Baru.